Friday, May 4, 2007

Experiencing Technical Difficulties

Crud. When I woke up this morning with all these great show ideas swirling in my head, ready to record them for all of your enjoyment, I looked over at my laptop and it was hosed. I mean, really hosed. It has passed away quietly in the night, a victim of the dreaded BSOD, aka Blue Screen Of Death. For some reason, Microsoft sees fit to set up the system to auto reboot when this happens, so I can’t even read the error on the screen, before it fitfully reboots itself, over and over and over again. Afer toying with the idea of recording it on my Treo as in times of yore (say maybe the first 50 episodes?) I decided to spare you the horrible sound quality and skip the show. I also have a MacBook, so as I dropped of my PC to the help desk at work, I thought, hmmm maybe I can use that. But alas, that too was hosed. I fired it up and it just sat at this little spinning icon under the big gray Apple logo. Sat like that for about an hour. Problem with Macs is that they don’t even give you enough information to even attempt to diagnose the problem. I dropped that one off at the help desk as a picked up my laptop again.

See my previous post? How can it be that in 2007, we still have to resort to repair disks and boot disks and hours upon hours of downtime in order to just get back to where we were? So much lost time, lost money, lost, lost, lost. All the while, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs laugh all the way to the bank. There is no, mass market OS or system thats totally bulletproof. And I think thats unacceptable in this day and age. Why can we build embedded systems which work and work and work, but the simple PC being bulletproof confounds us? People woudl say that its the simplicity of the embedded systems - but some of those are getting pretty complex as well. Why not apply those principles to our lowly PCs and Macs?

No comments: