Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Best Mobile Application

The app I use on my mobile phone more than any other is: Google Maps. This app is simply the most useful application on my Blackberry. With it I:

1: Never get lost. Who needs GPS when you can pull over and enter the address of the house or business you are currently at, your destination, and it will map your route. Why would it need to know where you are? You can just look around and tell Google Maps where you are. It does the rest.

2: Find stuff you need or want. Lets say you are where you are, wherever you are, and have a hankering for noodles. Fire up Google Maps, enter your location, and search for noodles. Not only do you get all noodle places near you, you get their phone numbers, directions to and from them, and for some of them, user reviews. I used it the other day to find a used copy of Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. After two phone calls, I had the location to the Gamestop in relation to where I was, their phone number and the route to get there.

3: Find my way via landmarks. Switch to satellite mode and you can see - oh ya, that store in in that strip mall, not the other one.

4: Will know exactly how long it will take for me to get somewhere, as the traffic buffer is built in.

I could venture to say that Google Maps is the most perfect application so far for my Blackberry. Can't really expect much more - alternate routes around traffic and walking/cycling directions would be nice but DAMN, this thing works great! I think theres copies for all manner of mobile phones as well.

I like apps that do one thing well, as opposed to a million things not so well. This is one of those apps.

No comments: